- Ideal for use with a wide variety of commercial femtosecond lasers
- Optics selections for compatibility with 1030 nm, 1064 nm, 515 nm, or 532 nm wavelengths
- Water- and air-cooling features for maximum stability and consistent performance over time
- Produces precise features with the greatest laser-processing precision available—even including features larger than the scanner’s field of view
- User-friendly features simplify integration into a machine, system, or subsystem
- Assist gas pressure up to 200 psig for improved processing of high-aspect ratio features
- Medical device manufacturing
- Interventional cardiovascular implants
- Microelectronics processing
- Probe cards
- Automotive component manufacturing
- Fuel injector nozzles
- Laser micromachining systems
Beam Manipulation in 5 Degrees of FreedomAerotech’s AGV5D five-axis laser micromachining precession scanner manipulates a laser beam in five degrees of freedom (DOF):
- Spot placement within the field of view (2-DOF)
- Spot focus depth (1-DOF)
- Precession angle (2-DOF)
One Controller for All MotionThrough coordination with other axes of motion using an Aerotech controller, AGV5D offers the unique capability to generate features larger than its field of view while maintaining the highest processing quality. Regardless of whether the motion platform is comprised of servo-motor or stepper-motor stages, piezoelectric nanopositioners, or hexapods, Aerotech is the only supplier that coordinates the precession scanner with the other motion axes, resulting in the greatest laser-processing precision possible.
A G-code-based programming interface gives you the ability to take control and forge your own trajectory. Alternatively, defined functions with parametric features and geometries are available for programming simplicity. User-accessible diagnostic tools accelerate process development and optimization.
Simple and Flexible IntegrationAGV5D is the most flexible multi-axis laser micromachining solution available. Mounting interfaces on the front and rear faces of the housing, along with a multidirectional beam input, simplify delivery of the input beam. Additional kinematic mounting features on the underside of the housing allow for repeatable dismounting and remounting of the AGV5D, thus minimizing the need for realignment of the input beam. Optional beam alignment modules provide a simple mechanism by which users can set and adjust the input beam alignment and the polarization.
AGV5D also offers great flexibility to users in that it is easy to integrate with a diverse range of commercially available femtosecond lasers. This is made possible through adjustable software parameters, allowing users to compensate for laser properties such as beam divergence, diameter and quality, which often vary among laser sources. With some relatively quick and simple adjustments, users can set up the AGV5D with the laser that best suits their process requirements, and can easily swap out one laser for another.
Optimized for Industrial UseLike all Aerotech products, AGV5D is designed for long-term durability in production environments. Water- and air-cooling mechanisms regulate temperature gradients within the AGV5D, thereby mitigating thermal drift errors. The housing is sealed and includes an air purge to help keep the optical components free from contamination, greatly reducing the risk of damage.
Your One-Stop Precision Motion Control PartnerSince 1970, customers around the world have relied on Aerotech’s trusted support through every step of the process: from system layout and design, to out-of-the-box setup and support, to putting your process in motion and keeping it moving.
Aerotech is the only supplier offering solutions for every motion challenge. From precision mechanics and mechatronic devices, to state-of-the-art galvo scanners and light-manipulation technologies, to highly capable, user-friendly controller software and hardware, you achieve greater precision and quality with Aerotech because all components integrate seamlessly and are coordinated through one controller.
|Laser Wavelength(1)||1030 nm, 1064 nm
515 nm, 532 nm
|Maximum Laser Pulse Energy(2)||400 µJ (λ = 1030 nm, 1064 nm)
350 µJ (λ = 515 nm, 532 nm)
|Minimum Laser Pulse Length||250 fs(3)|
|Average Power||≤ 100 W|
|Objective Focal Length||55 mm|
|Minimum Focused Spot Diameter(4)||15 µm (λ = 1030 nm, 1064 nm)
7 µm (λ = 515 nm, 532 nm)
|Input Beam Diameter (1/e2)||2.3 mm recommended
2.8 mm maximum(5)
|Polarization||Circular or Linear(6)|
|Axes||5 total: Spot positioning (X,Y); Focusing (Z); Precession (A,B)|
|Field of View(7)||Ø 2 mm|
|Z Focus Range||2 mm (motorized)
4 mm (manual adjustment)
|Working Distance from Nozzle||Up to 4 mm(8)|
|Maximum Precession Angle(7)||± 9°
(18° full-cone angle)
|Positioning Resolution||40 nm (X,Y)
30 nm (Z)
0.004 mrad (A,B)
|Positioning Repeatability||0.1 µm (X,Y)
0.1 µm (Z)
0.15 mrad (A,B)
|Hole Diameter Accuracy||< 0.2 µm|
|Precession Frequency(9)||up to 800 Hz|
|Maximum Focusing Speed||130 mm/s|
|Purge Gas(10)||Nitrogen, up to 5 psig|
|Process Assist Gas||User selectable, up to 200 psig|
|Cooling||Water-cooled motors and air-cooled optics(11)|
|Drive System||Direct-Drive Brushless Motors|
|Feedback||Noncontact Optical Encoders|
|Maximum Bus Voltage||± 40 VDC|
|Limit Switches||Optical Limit Switches and Software Limits|
|Home Switch||At Center|
1. Consult factory for other wavelengths.
2. Valid for input beam diameters of 2 mm (1/e2) and larger. Contact factory if input beam diameter is less than 2 mm.
3. To avoid damage to the optics, the minimum laser pulse length should not be less than 250 fs. For optimal focused spot quality, a minimum pulse length of 400 fs is recommended.
4. Diameter is represented as 1/e2 and assumes an input beam quality of M2=1.2. Values shown assume a 2.3 mm (1/e2) input beam diameter.
5. Entrance beam diameters exceeding the maximum value can result in a reduction in the field of view and/or maximum precession angle.
6. Requires the -AM2 alignment module option, or alternatively, external customer-supplied polarizing optics.
7. Maximum travels are listed for the specified input beam diameter and are mutually exclusive. Consult factory for detailed working volume sizing.
8. Working distances greater than 3.25 mm from the nozzle will restrict the maximum precession angle.
9. Precession frequency is dependent on angle of incidence and feature diameter.
10. If nitrogen is used, it must be 99.99% pure and filtered to 0.25 µm. If compressed air is used, it must be filtered to 0.25 µm, dry to 0º F dew point and oil free.
11. Water- and air-cooling inputs are standard on all AGV5D models. The use of these cooling features is recommended, but is not strictly required in all use cases.
AGV5D Laser Scan Head
Contact factory for additional wavelenths
Beam Entry (Required)
|-BE1||Right-side laser beam entry|
|-BE2||Left-side laser beam entry|
Alignment Module (Optional)
|-AM1||Beam alignment module with adjustable turning mirror mechanism for input beam alignment|
|-AM2||Beam alignment module with adjustable turning mirror mechanism for input beam alignment, and half-wave and quarter-wave plates for polarization adjustment.|
Aerotech offers both standard and custom integration services to help you get your system fully operational as quickly as possible. The following standard integration options are available for this system. Please consult Aerotech if you are unsure what level of integration is required, or if you desire custom integration support with your system.
|-TAS||Integration - Test as system
Testing, integration, and documentation of a group of components as a complete system that will be used together (ex: drive, controller, and stage). This includes parameter file generation, system tuning, and documentation of the system configuration.
|-TAC||Integration - Test as components
Testing and integration of individual items as discrete components that ship together. This is typically used for spare parts, replacement parts, or items that will not be used together. These components may or may not be part of a larger system.